Re: [exim] Response to synchronization failures

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Response to synchronization failures
> On Thu, 26 May 2005, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> I'd like to responde to SMTP synchronization failures in a custom way
>> (invoke an external script, and wait for some time to prevent the
>> client form just connecting again). Is this possible?
>
> Not within Exim, but you can get Exim to log to syslog and then write a
> program to monitor syslog and do appropriate things when a sync error
> occurs.

For the monitoring syslog bit you could try 'swatch'
(http://swatch.sf.net). It monitors log files and will 'do things' when
required. We use it to monitor several log files - not exim though! - and
run a program when things start failing. (If you are using Fedora linux
you'll find 'swatch' in the Fedora Extras.)

John.