Re: [exim] Umlaute and autoreply

Author: Daniel Tiefnig
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Umlaute and autoreply
Jan Suchanek wrote:
> Philip Hazel wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 May 2005, Jan Suchanek wrote:
>>> I am using exim with an autoreply transport for vacation
>>> messages. If someone sends mails including Umlaute (öäü) in the
>>> subject they get replaced with an "X" with looks not so nice.
>>
>> print_topbitchars = true
>
> this line is in my config file but sadly changes nothing :-(

The problem is, IIRC one is not allowed to use Umlauts in Mailheaders.
At least, there's now way to specify a charset for Header Strings,
besides the "floating style" you mentioned.
For ease, you may want to use rfc2047 encoding within your autoreply
transport, like:

subject = ${if def:h_Subject: \
                 {Autoreply: ${rfc2047:${length_50:$header_subject:}}} \
                 {automatic reply}}

Now MUAs should show the Umlauts correctly.
${rfc2047} is documented here:
http://exim.inode.at/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_11.html#IX853

lg,
daniel