[exim] spam ACL - changing score character - wishlist item?

Author: John Horne
To: Exim users
Subject: [exim] spam ACL - changing score character - wishlist item?
Hello,

I am using the following ACL statements to run SpamAssassin (SA):

   warn    spam = nobody:true/defer_ok
                  message = X-Spam-Level: $spam_bar

However, our (new) exim configuration has 2 methods of calling SA - the
one above and in some instances calling spamc via a pipe transport. I
have noticed that the reported score using spamc appears with '*'
characters for positive scores and (I think) just an empty header for a
negative score, whereas the spam ACL, as the docs say, use the '+' and
'-' characters.

The problem is we have for some time told our users that they can filter
mail using the 'X-Spam-Level: ****' header. Filtering on the number of
asterisks. This is now going to work sometimes and not others. I am not
worried about negative scores and the '-' because no-one should be
filtering those.

Could either the '+' character be made an '*' as SA uses, or can an
option be created for the 'spam' statement to say what character should
be used - if the latter then perhaps add it to the wishlist please?

In the short-term for our site I'll modify the source to use an asterisk
(spam.c line 332).

Thanks,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839