Re: [exim] Bogus HELOs

Autor: Gary Allen Vollink
A: Exim User's Mailing List
CC: woods
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Bogus HELOs
Greg A. Woods wrote:

>However there's no magic about it -- just call getsockname() to find the
>local address the outgoing connection is bound to. Indeed some MTAs
>already include at least primitive support for doing this right
>(including Exim, IIUC), and hacking in getsockname() and gethostbyaddr()
>to find the name automatically would be trivial in most MTAs too
>(including Exim).

But in practice, what "would be trivial" is not going to happen unless
every vendor makes it so. This would include going to each customer
site and updating FOR them.

>However the last time I saw, or even heard of, a true multi-homed SMTP
>gateway (that was not a gateway to a private network (*)) was about 15
>years ago.

My server, inferno.inside: 192.168.2.4, is also...
x.x.177.3 (dns) (and ntp, but reverse is for dns)
x.x.177.16 (mail)
x.x.177.106 (www)
x.x.177.111 (webmail)
which isn't to say that I don't still use mail.corvu.com in my HELO
lines (although the default setup for Exim [used to?] allow mail to go
out on any bound IP with a suitable default gateway).
driver=smtp
interface=IP_ADDRESS_HERE

>In any case there really is no valid excuse for any MTA to utter the
>wrong hostname when it greets some remote SMTP server on the public
>Internet.

Valid excuse, as in - "I plugged it in and the default settings already
work?" (The mantra of the Windows admin).
Also, of course, assuming Exchange servers didn't exist...
EHLO srv_exchange.domain.com
...I would agree with you. They "should", but they don't, and that
won't go away for a long, long time.

My point remains. For a business, it's impractical to expect that
everyone else has done it the same way you do. But do what you want.