Re: [exim] Setting primary_hostname via command?

Author: Toralf Lund
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Setting primary_hostname via command?
Tony Finch wrote:

>On Mon, 23 May 2005, Toralf Lund wrote:
>

>>Is there any way I can set the value of a main config setting like
>>primary_hostname to the output of a system command?
>>

>primary_hostname is one of the few configuration settings that is not
>expanded. Perhaps if you explain why you want to do this we can suggest
>solutions that will work.

I'm trying to set up an MTA (Exim) for outgoing messages only. For
reasons I won't go into here, hostname doesn't return the official name
of the host - but I know a way to find it. From the shell, that is.

But perhaps all I want is to override the HELO name...

>>Actually, one of the things that's always confused me most about the exim
>>config setup is the whole string expansion mechanism...
>>

>One way to think of it is an escape hatch. To a large extent you can
>configure Exim without using string expansions - the flexibility comes
>from things like matching against lists and the variety of ACL conditions
>and router preconditions. However they can't cope with everyone's
>requirements so string expansions allow you to construct your own ad-hoc
>conditions and lookups.

Well. Yes. What confuses me, is that strings are sometimes expanded
sometimes not. Also, when exactly the expansion takes place and the
order of operations is not always easy to predict... And the fact that
there are several completely different "variable data" mechanisms add to
the complexity of it all. You have macros, "expansion variables", normal
configuration variables (which are related to "expansion variables", but
not directly, as far as I can tell) host and domain lists...