[exim] Tracking causes for delays

Author: Mike Oliveri
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Tracking causes for delays
We've been having a problem lately where messages on our mail gateway
are getting delayed. They are sent later during the retry, but at times
delays have been as high as several hours. In looking in the logs, I'm
not really seeing anything to indicate what the problem is, and was
hoping someone can give me some additional places to look.

Here's what I've found. I sent a test message to myself from my Gmail
account, so from moliveri@??? to moliveri@???.

In running a tail against mainlog and greping for moliveri, I find:

2005-05-19 15:50:17 1DYrwA-0000VT-6L <= moliveri@??? /
H=rproxy.gmail.com [64.233.170.199] P=esmtp S=1329 /
id=1e58dbf605051913483e8f0394@???

In running exim -bp, I found:

13m  1.3K 1DYrwA-0000VT-6L <moliveri@???>
           moliveri@???

Reject and panic logs turn up nothing. On this box, it's Exim 4.50 on
FreeBSD 5.3 built from Ports (Port has version as 4.50_1). This box
_does_ run heavy, but I want to narrow down the exact cause if possible.

Thanks,
Mike Oliveri
Systems Administrator
UTI Systems, Inc.