Re: [exim] authenticate * not work

Author: G W
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] authenticate * not work
Thank you for your explanation
> he just got the wrong IP.
> I tested it and the smtp "fix" seems to be active:
>
> telnet mail3.techsoft.com.hk 25
> Trying 202.66.7.87...
> Connected to mail3.techsoft.com.hk.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 ************************************0 ************200*****0******0*00
> EHLO test
> 500 unrecognized command

yep, it's feature of cisco firewall, don't recall its name.
but i didn't know it indicates "smtp fixup" is on

> there are two different issues here:
>
> if on the LAN the pix is not relevant but the AUTH method for OE was not
> present. On the WAN pix seems to be present and must be disabled to have
> ESMTP work.

even after i added the LOGIN authenticator, both OE and thunderbird
must check the "smtp require username/password" box.
i wonder why thunderbird acts like OE (??) that only making use of
AUTH LOGIN authenticator.

The other 2 (AUTH PLAIN and AUTH CRAM-MD5) are used for login to POP/IMAP ???

Right now, the situation is the client needs to enter password TWICE,
1 for pop email off their mailbox, 1 for sending mail from my server.

client must not appreciate that coz they didn't have to in the past
(sendmail, qmail).. Any solution to this?

a million thx to all you guys