[exim] spamassassin and clamAV server specs? (somewhat offt…

Author: Chad Leigh
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] spamassassin and clamAV server specs? (somewhat offtopic)
I run exim and am using the localscan version of callout to spamc/
spamd (been a while since I configured it) from Marc Merlin. I do
not currently run any sort of AV.

I am thinking of adding in a spare single CPU opteron server that may
come available soon as a dedicated spamassassin and clamAV server to
handle the spam and AV tasks on a handoff from the main exim and imap
server. This is not for a lot of mail accounts, yet, but rather for
testing of a new mail service to be launched later this year.

If I reconfigure this server at all before I start this
experimentation, I want to make sure I address the pieces of the
server most likely to be stressed by spamassassin and clamAV. Is
RAM, disk IO, or CPU the most important element of this sort of
processing? Something tells me RAM is ,as spamassassin is perl
(don't know what ClamAV is written in), but that disk is also
important to be able to quickly read and write the temporary mail
files as they come in.

Any suggestions on what to emphasize on the server if I have a chance
to reconfigure (ie, add or adjust the HW) it first.

Thanks
Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC