Re: [exim] authenticate * not work

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] authenticate * not work
On 5/18/05 7:31 AM, "G W" <gilbert.debian@???> wrote:

> i have tired disabling any AV during testing.. but the problem remains
>
> FYI, the EXIM server is behind cisco firewall but leave all relevant
> ports open (25, 110, 143, ...).

If SMTP fixup is on in this firewall, then you can't do any of the
extensions to SMTP for connections coming through the firewall.

That includes the AUTH extension.

All you can do through such a firewall is plain old SMTP (HELO command, not
EHLO).

While I have a lot of respect for Cisco generally, this particular feature
is one of their worst ideas ever. [When we set up a new facility a few
years ago, we considered a PIX but went another--better--direction for the
firewall.]

--John