Re: [exim] authenticate * not work

Author: Philip Hazel
To: G W
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] authenticate * not work
On Wed, 18 May 2005, G W wrote:

> > You didn't show what happened earlier. Did you issue an AUTH command?
> > Was it accepted? If not, the session is not authorized.
>
> i issue the commands Marc suggested:
>
> $ swaks -n -s mail3.techsoft.com.hk -a -au

Sorry. What I meant was that you didn't show what happened earlier in
the debugging session using "exim -bh". Did you use an AUTH command it
that session?

> -> AUTH CRAM-MD5
> <- 334 PDE2NjQyLjExMTY0MTk3NDdAbG9jYWxob3N0Pg==
> -> Z2lsYmVydEBtYWlsMy50ZWNoc29mdC5jb20uaGsgNjk4Nzk4OWI1N2Q2YjA4YTA4ZTYzY2ZhOWFk
> ODU5YjU=
> <- 235 Authentication succeeded

So authentication succeeded.

> -> MAIL FROM:<root@???>
> <- 250 OK
> -> RCPT TO:<a@???>
> <- 250 Accepted
> -> DATA
> <- 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
> -> 9 lines sent
> <- 250 OK id=1DYNm7-0004KQ-3r

And Exim accepted the message. What is the problem?

> when client's MUA connect directly to EXIM, it didn't ask the MUA
> password and simply think they're NOT authenticated, so "relay not
> permitted" happened??

I'm sorry, I don't understand the problem. What do you mean by "MUA
connect directly to EXIM"? Note the the MTA does not ask for the
password; the client has to offer it with the AUTH command. Maybe your
client needs configuring?