RE: [exim] Recommendation - Separate Servers? Cluster? Round…

Author: Mark Morley
To: ppp2005, exim-users
CC:
Subject: RE: [exim] Recommendation - Separate Servers? Cluster? Round Robin?
> I need a structure to increase easely more servers in the future.
>
> What is the better choice?

That's highly subjective, but here's what we do:

- Six (currently, soon to be more) servers running in a cluster.

- Servers use VRRP to fail over (one goes down, the others take
over its IP.

- Each machine knows about ALL users. As long as at least one
machine in the cluster remains running mail still flows (although
it may slow down)

- Mailboxes stored on an NFS mounted file system.

- Exim runs Spam Assassin with all the options (dnsbls, razor, etc.)
Each server has its own local copy of SA running.

- Messages are scanned by one virus scanner at a minimum, and
possibly as many as *three* depending on current server load.
(and yes, some scanners catch things that the other do not).

Works a treat for us, never have any significant load issues at
all.

Mark