Re: [exim] 1st post - total novice ! - Config advice - Use o…

Autor: Paul Shields
A: Exim Users List
Assumpte: Re: [exim] 1st post - total novice ! - Config advice - Use of rbls toblock dynamic IPs but not block customers

--On 07 May 2005 16:17 +0100 "Phil \\(Medway Hosting\\)"
<phil@???> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have had a look in the archives and have found related info but not a
> conclusive answer.
>
> Please bear in mind that I literally only saw an Exim config file for the
> first time today !
>
> I wish to configure the new server to use the following blacklists:
>
> combined.njabl.org
> sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
> list.dsbl.org
> dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net
>
> however I do not want this to stop home customers on dynamic IPs from
> sending mail. When I asked the datacentre where I rent the server from
> about this, they had this to say:

> The configuration we do on the server do not have a feature that will
> check the local "sender" address before checking the condition for rbl
> blocklists. So, I am afraid this would not function automatically.
> However, we can setup a whitelist where you can add all those domains
> that needs to be whitelisted. This way rbl blocklist can be overridden
> for those local accounts that use dynamic Ips.
>
> The server runs as a pop-before-smtp, so ideally I would like the server
> to check the mail has been received from a legitimate authorised user
> prior to checking the blacklists.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Phil

I would expect that you can configure your RBL ACL to only do lookups based
on whether the sender address is in (or not in) some set variable - e.g.

deny  hosts = !+dialup_ips
      message blah blah blah
      dnslists = sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org : list.dsbl.org (etc)

dialup_ips would be defined as your dialup address range.

Untested, but it should work. As this is your first day looking at an Exim
configure file I would suggest some careful reading...;)

Regards

Paul