Re: [exim] Limit number of recipients

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Limit number of recipients
Tony Finch <dot@???>

..[snip]...

> On Thu, 5 May 2005, Ron McKeating wrote:
> >
> > recipients_max_reject
>
> You almost certainly don't want to use this. You should instead check
> the number of recipients in the predata or data ACLs and reject the
> whole message, rather than just the last few recipients.

I think I am going to scream here, come on guys and gals this is an
easy one that requires NO funky ACL stuff....

Just use recipients_max as previously posted, I do agree with Tony that
you do not want to set the recipients_max_reject to TRUE however.

recipients_max
Use: main
Type: integer
Default: 0

If this option is set greater than zero, it specifies the
maximum number of original recipients for any message. Additional
recipients that are generated by aliasing or forwarding do not
count. SMTP messages get a 452 response for all recipients over
the limit; earlier recipients are delivered as normal. Non-SMTP
messages with too many recipients are failed, and no deliveries
are done. Note that the RFCs specify that an SMTP server should
accept at least 100 RCPT commands in a single message.

recipients_max_reject
Use: main
Type: boolean
Default: false

If this option is set true, Exim rejects SMTP messages containing
too many recipients by giving 552 errors to the surplus RCPT commands,
and a 554 error to the eventual DATA command. Otherwise (the default)
it gives a 452 error to the surplus RCPT commands and accepts the
message on behalf of the initial set of recipients. The remote server
should then re-send the message for the remaining recipients at a
later time.

--EAL--