Re: [exim] Using fake names to poison spam databases.

Author: Nick Miller
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Using fake names to poison spam databases.
Mike Wiebeld wrote:

>Exim 4.50
>Linux (Debian) but I've written the exim4.conf file from scratch
>The Exim system is serving as a smarthost for a GroupWise system.
>
>We have a problem where our HR staff and others have had their email addresses on our webpage for a few years. The spammers have harvested those names and are sending tons of spam to those addresses. I've hidden fake names in the webpage and those fake addresses are now receiving spam.
>
>I know how to check and reject incoming email and even drop the connection if any of those fake addresses are found. But I'd like to accept the email, strip out all the addresses except the first fake one and then process it. The fake addresses will be routed to me and I can check the messages and submit them to spamcop.
>
>Has anyone else done this? I can't figure out how to stip the other addresses out of the message. Or is it just a waste of time? Thanks for any help.

IMHO you may want look at implementing a server based spam detection
tool such as Spam Assassin. That sounds like a lot of people time to
have to inspect and report all of those emails to spamcop. If you are
running Debian Sarge it is fairly simple to integrate SA and Exim4.

Regards,
Nick

Nicholas Miller
Web Developer / System Admin