Re: [exim] Sender verify failed

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Sender verify failed

--On May 4, 2005 15:16:21 +0100 Doug <genesys2001uk@???> wrote:

> Hiya all,
>
> We currently use callouts to verify mail is good. However it seems
> that some mail servers out there are not responding to callouts (non
> RFC compliant? ). Whatever the reason, this mail is actually good and
> we need to receive it.
>
> Has anyone come across this kind of problem before and what methods do
> you guys use? We currently have a list of IPs that we accept relay
> from regardless, and we currently have to add each 'problem' host each
> time one pops up.

I don't do that for a host of reasons. Not least of which is that it is
just as easy for the remote admin to fix their server. If you add the
server to a white list, then the users concerned have no motive to work on
the remote administrator to fix the server. Then, when the start sending
mail to my server, I have a hard time convincing them to fix their server.
The remote admin will say, "but this other remote site made an exception
for me", so I have to say, "how many remote sites to you want to persuade
to whitelist you".

I can list a dozen schools, a University, and several academic professional
organisations that I've persuaded to fix their servers, so you don't have
to whitelist them.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team