Re: [exim] Request: configurable "message is too big" messag…

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: exim-users
CC: Sander Plas
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Request: configurable "message is too big" message
On Tue, 3 May 2005, Tony Finch wrote:

> > I need to be able to modify this message for one of our customers. For
> > now, i simply changed the source code, but we would prefer to avoid
> > that in the future. Would it be possible to make this configurable in
> > a future version of Exim?
>
> Double the router that routes to the transport in question. Have a
> condition on the first copy of the transport which only routes messages
> that are below the size limit. Change the second router to cause a bounce
> with your choice of message. E.g.

A general remark: There are many, many messages that are screwed into
the code of Exim. Had I known just how widely Exim would be used, I
might have put more thought into designing a message system that was
more flexible. At this stage, however, it would be a huge amount of
effort to implement such a thing, and I do not think it is likely to
happen at all, let alone quickly. There is just too much else to do.
Obviously (I hope), allowing just one message to be changed is silly.

Tony's suggested workaround is probably the best thing to do.