Re: [exim] IMAP server recommendations

Author: Christian Schmidt
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] IMAP server recommendations
Hello Giuliano,

Giuliano Gavazzi, 02.05.2005 (d.m.y):

> simple. I can nuke all Courier processes and still Exim delivers mail
> to the users' Maildirs.

...because Courier hasn't git anything to do with mail delivery.

> This is just because they use the same (or at
> least compatible) Maildir implementation. I seem to remember that
> Cyrus, like your domain name, uses a weird one instead.

Cyrus is like a "black box" that stores users' mails in a kind of
database that can only be accessed by the Cyrus tools (imapd and/or
pop3d).
Thus, there is always an additional "part" (coming from the Cyrus
package) needed for mail delivery: exim (or whichever MTA is in use)
cannot access the "file system area" used by Cyrus for mailstore
alone.

> >Cyrus accepts local delivery by way of either LMTP, or a command
> >pipeline, just as almost every other conceivable POP/IMAP storage system
> >does. What is there to "integrate" with the MTA, other than perhaps the
> >little trick of splitting off mailbox suffixes?
>
> I might be missing something here, but both dovecot and courier do
> not need to accept local delivery via either LMTP or command pipeline.

No. That's because dovecot, courier, binc and qpopper are working with
the "normal" filesystem to to their job - Cyrus uses a more db-like
solution instead.

Regards,
Christian Schmidt

--
Ein Mann, der zum Ehemann paßt, den wollen die wenigsten Mädchen gern heiraten.
    -- Moritz Goldschmidt