Re: [exim] IMAP server recommendations

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] IMAP server recommendations
Sorry, I have to reply to the list as Greg uses an obnoxious RBL at
blackholes.five-ten-sg.com.

At 3:24 pm -0400 on 2005/04/29, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>[ On Thursday, April 28, 2005 at 21:36:49 (+0200), Giuliano Gavazzi wrote: ]
>> Subject: Re: [exim] IMAP server recommendations
>>
>> it must be said that cyrus does not integrate with exim as well as
>> courier. I prefer it to cyrus just for this, I want my email
>> acquisition to be dealt entirely by exim, the least is involved in
>> local delivery the better.
>
>I'm very curious about what exactly you mean by "integrate with exim"
>and "email acquisition" and "the _least_ is involved"?

simple. I can nuke all Courier processes and still Exim delivers mail
to the users' Maildirs. This is just because they use the same (or at
least compatible) Maildir implementation. I seem to remember that
Cyrus, like your domain name, uses a weird one instead.

>Cyrus accepts local delivery by way of either LMTP, or a command
>pipeline, just as almost every other conceivable POP/IMAP storage system
>does. What is there to "integrate" with the MTA, other than perhaps the
>little trick of splitting off mailbox suffixes?

I might be missing something here, but both dovecot and courier do
not need to accept local delivery via either LMTP or command pipeline.