Re: [exim] Announcing Mailonator: Send large emails with Exi…

Autor: Fred Viles
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Announcing Mailonator: Send large emails with Exim
On 29 Apr 2005 at 21:22, Odhiambo G. Washington wrote about
    "Re: [exim] Announcing Mailonator: S":

| * Mailonator <ml@???> [20050429 20:32]: wrote:

|... (product announcement bordering on spam)
|
| Hoping this was sent by a human!

I'd guess so, given the special mention of exim integration to try to
qualify as on-topic.

| The application sucks, from what they say. First I think e-mail is not
| mean for transmitting large files.

Indeed. But ISTM that's the very point of this app. It *prevents*
your users from sending large files via e-mail.

| Second, this applications seems to
| want you to also install some web application, otherwise what is the
| use of the "with the link to this attachment"?

I assumed it integrates with common web servers, but there's no
information about that on their web pile. So you might be right,
that the web server is part of the package.

| Third, it generates another e-mail, to notify me. I am expecting a
| reply, not a notification that John Doe downloaded an attachment. :P

That's optional, according to the web pile.

| Now, isn't this as bad as inserting stupid disclaimers into e-mail? ;)

The idea actually sounds interesting to me. Since I can't convince
my users (especially in mktg/sales) to send links to documents rather
than copies of documents, this sort of approach would solve the
problem.

I'd prefer an open source implementation that works with Apache,
though.

- Fred