Re: [exim] Announcing Mailonator: Send large emails with Exi…

Author: Odhiambo G. Washington
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Announcing Mailonator: Send large emails with Exim
* Mailonator <ml@???> [20050429 20:32]: wrote:
> Castify Networks announces Mailonator 1.0.1.0020 with a plug-in for the
> Exim email server. Mailonator 1.0.1.0020 is available at
> www.mailonator.com.
>
> Mailonator offers in one easy, downloadable package a complete solution
> for enabling the delivery of large digital media via regular email
> tools.
>
> Mailonator supports different configuration options. One option is the
> Mailonator Plug-In for Exim.
>
> Mailonator software installs easily and quickly behind the scenes, so
> your email service and client tools never need to change. Your email
> arrives regardless of which email client or service your recipients
> use, even if they are subject to Inbox quotas, attachment removal or
> other restrictions.
>
> Outgoing emails sent to the Exim server are passed to the
> Mailonator Plug-In, which stores the attachments securely on a Web
> server, and replaces the attachment with the link to this attachment.
> The email, now only containing the link, is then sent to the
> recipients.
>
> In addition, Mailonator sends you an email notification when recipients
> download your attachment, and provides system administrators with usage
> statistics.
>
> Mailonator is available for download at www.mailonator.com/download,
> with free trial and full licenses available for purchase online at
> www.mailonator.com/purchase.

Hoping this was sent by a human!

The application sucks, from what they say. First I think e-mail is not
mean for transmitting large files. Second, this applications seems to
want you to also install some web application, otherwise what is the
use of the "with the link to this attachment"?
Third, it generates another e-mail, to notify me. I am expecting a
reply, not a notification that John Doe downloaded an attachment. :P

Now, isn't this as bad as inserting stupid disclaimers into e-mail? ;)

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                    . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
wash _at_ wananchi _ dot _ com        . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223            . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121            . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post