RE: [Exim] SMTP

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: RE: [Exim] SMTP
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Steffen Heil wrote:

> We had great success with:
>
> daemon_smtp_ports = smtp : 587 : 465
> tls_on_connect_ports = 465
>
> External server to server traffic is on port 25 (preferably no auth).
> Users submitting mail (authenticated) on
> port 587 for non outlook clients, using smtp with starttls.
> port 465 for outlook clients, using smtp over ssl.

Right, we're successfully doing that too.

Only surprise was that one remote mailer started offering us
unauthenticated mail transactions on port 465. We rejected it with 5xx
and an informative text.

After about a week (as we can now see in the logs), one of their users
mailed us from their domestic ISP to ask why we're repeatedly refusing
their mail. They included the rejection report that they were getting -
which, as you can no doubt guess, was only an uninformative shred taken
out of the informative text which we had been sending.

I don't know just what their sysadmin had botched, but it's something to
watch out for if you want contented users.