Re: [exim] Adding those Legal disclaimers to e-mails

Autor: Matt Fretwell
A: exim
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Adding those Legal disclaimers to e-mails
Marc Haber wrote:

> >Now I have conceived a very good solution for a friend of mine who is
> >starting a company. I have read the "riot act" to him (This is common
> >in all countries, right? When there is civil unrest..) about the
> >disclaimers but he says fine... he wants it.
>
> A friend of yours? Do him a favor of not doing him _this_ favor. You
> are likely to end up as his (unpaid) computer service technician. At
> least I wouldn't want to be the resident computer bozo for somebody
> who won't listen to my advice.
>
> Save the friendship by not helping him to shoot himself in the foot.

Just to wave the troll flag a tad more :), mail appendments, (not
disclaimers), can serve a useful purpose. How many people, (granted it is
done in the MUA, not at MTA level), append signatures, footnotes, comments
to the bottom of their mails?

At the end of the day, one has to remember how supremely dense, for wont
of a better word, a large percentage of users are.
Appending company details to the foot of a mail is not on the same level
as the useless and stupid disclaimer. The fact that they are referred to
as disclaimers does not always mean that is what they actually are. It has
become a somewhat generic term, unfortunately.
At the end of the day, if this is a criterion for this company, the
simple fact is that you cannot rely upon the majority of users to
configure this themselves. It has to be done at a central point, hence the
MTA level appendment.

Matt

p.s: Before anyone starts nit picking, I do not care how bad my English
     language skills may be today, so no English tuitions :)