Re: [exim] Exim Performance / Server Performance

Author: Brian Candler
To: Tony Finch
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim Performance / Server Performance
On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 11:22:47AM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Brian Candler wrote:
> >
> > Or go for something more efficient. For example, you can get Exim to deliver
> > in Maildir format, and then use courier-imap as the POP3 server. That's a
> > major redesign in your system though.
>
> I didn't think Courier did any metadata cacheing, so how does it avoid
> stat()ing hundreds of files each time a POP connection comes in?

As of a couple of years ago, it creates a file 'courierpop3dsizelist' within
the Maildir which caches the size of the file.

The size it stores is the RFC 1939 size (i.e. counting \n as \r\n).

Before this was added, not only did it stat() every file in the Maildir, it
used to open them all and read them from start to end to work out the
correct size to report!

Cheers,

Brian.