Re: [exim] Exim Performance / Server Performance

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim Performance / Server Performance
Michael Haardt wrote:

..[snip]...

> Indeed, but it is the most reasonable thing to do to resolve the locking
> problem. It also opens the door to IMAP, and once users learn what IMAP
> can do for them, they usually stop using POP. A POP-only service is not
> going to suffice in the long run. Offering IMAP allows running a
> web-based client, like squirrelmail, and folders for spam mail and
> mailing lists, something people will ask for eventually.

That all depends on the service you are going to provide to the users.
Nearly all ISP's that I know of only offer POP3 access to the email
INBOX. This is not unreasonable, as the clients can then use local
storage and folders for their email needs. Private mail services for
an organization are different, and so ar the requirements for web based
systems such as Hotmail and the like.

--

--EAL--