Re: [exim] greylisting issue

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Brian Candler
CC: exim-users, Craig Jackson, Daniel Watts
Subject: Re: [exim] greylisting issue
On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 12:41 +0100, Brian Candler wrote:
> Why not? Its primary mission (I believe) is to refuse to accept mail from
> senders who do not retry in the event of temporary failures. Its secondary
> mission is to persuade spammers that they should modify their software to
> keep track of temporary failures and perform retries. It's likely to achieve
> its secondary mission pretty soon, I believe.

Maybe. But to a large extent we can only try to stay one step ahead of
the game. There are still enough people out there who accept any old
crap; there's not a _huge_ incentive for the spammers to learn to retry
yet.

We're not talking about theoretical breakage here. Temporary failures
_do_ happen, and sending sites who lose mail in that situation cannot
possibly be considered non-broken. Greylisting might exacerbate the
problem a little, but it's definitely a problem with the sender which
_needs_ to be fixed.

--
dwmw2