Re: [exim] greylisting issue

Author: Mike Zanker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] greylisting issue
On 21/4/05 6:45 pm, John W. Baxter wrote:

> One should build a simple and flexible way to do the whitelisting. We do
> our greylisting in a daemon running in Python that we wrote...it returns
> just ACCEPT or DEFER to Exim (ACCEPT includes the forms of whitelisting we
> use). So the semi-complex database queries are written in a more friendly
> environment than Exim ACL language. [The daemon also "normalizes" the
> recipient addresses, so that many forms of VERP normalize to the same string
> for a given recipient, avoiding greylisting delays for many sites which VERP
> with a unique string per message per recipient.]

May I also recommend Alun Jones' implementation at

http://users.aber.ac.uk/auj/spam/

This works very well out of the box but I have modified it so that it
immediately whitelists the IP address of any mail server that shows
signs of queueing. After a few weeks it's almost exclusively spam that
gets greylisted.

Mike.