Re: [exim] Address rewriting for spam control

Autor: Andrew Nimmo
A: jeff sacksteder
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Address rewriting for spam control

On 20 Apr 2005, at 07:20, jeff sacksteder wrote:

> In the past, I have found it useful to fabricate addresses for my own
> domain when signing up for services that required valid email
> addresses. For example, if lamesite.com requires me to list an
> address, I'll give them myname-lamesite.com@???, knowing that
> all mail to that domain winds up in my single inbox. This scheme has
> worked rather well to show what domains have distributed my address.
>
> My problem now is that I need to host several distinct user mailboxes
> on the domain. I want to be able to process incoming messages and
> deliver them to the correct party without configuring exim ahead of
> time with those addresses. If we presume for a moment that I use the
> hyphen as a delimiter, the following addresses
>
> user1-losers.com@???
> user1-morons.com@???
> user1-idiots.com@???

exim4 can already manage localpart suffixes (and prefixes too) so you
don't have to setup specific aliases. check the exim4 manual for:

local_part_suffix
local_part_suffix_optional

and the prefix variations too, if required.

> should all be delivered into user1@???. Bonus point will be
> awarded for adding headers beased on the second half of the
> destination in the format-
>
> x-betray: losers.com
>
> Based on my casual understanding, I should be able to the first
> criteria with rewriting techniques. I'm not so sure about the second
> criteria.

is the header insertion to be used by subsequent filtering? if yes, and
you're using exim4 filtering, you can check on $local_part_suffix too,
for example:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.50/doc/html/filter_3.html#SECT3.31

regards
andrew