Re: [exim] Address rewriting for spam control

Autor: Giuliano Gavazzi
A: Alan J. Flavell, Exim users list
CC:
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Address rewriting for spam control
At 9:03 am +0100 2005/04/20, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
>can be delivered to myname at mydomain.example with the "whatever" tag
>in place. This is easily implemented in exim - our router says this:
>
>plus_suffix:
> driver = redirect
> allow_defer
> allow_fail
> skip_syntax_errors
> data = ${local_part}@${domain}
> local_part_suffix = "+*"
> retry_use_local_part

interesting technique, so you do not have to put it in all routers
that need it, however this must be used only for local_domains or
you'll start changing also external destination addresses, or this
could come after the all the "outgoing" routers. Note that as I wrote
it should be preceded by a normal system_aliases router if one wants
to preserve suffixed aliases.

>Unfortunately, I'm increasingly finding that commercial sites declare
>addresses with "+" in them to be illegal syntax / invalid address /
>whatever, and refuse to accept them in subscriptions etc. Whether
>this is deliberate because they know what "+" is used for, or just
>sheer ignorance of the RFCs, I couldn't say, but whichever it is, it
>makes this specific technique less useful than it could be.

sheer ignorance, but the worst I've seen is some idiots (that's their
real name, I am not calling names.. or am I?) not accepting their
domain name keyed in the local_part, for instance: idiot.com would
not accept me-idiot.com@ whatever.
Oh the irony.