[exim] problem with procmail (or spamc)

Author: Ferenc Engard
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: [exim] problem with procmail (or spamc)
Hi all!

I recently upgraded to exim4, and since then spamassassin do not check
some (say, 5%) of my mail.

My config look like this:

- I download my mail regularly by fetchmail from a server, and feed to
exim4

- I have configured procmail to check all mail with spamassassin
(spamc/spamd). The end of my .procmailrc:

------------------------------------
:0fw
| spamc

:0:

The machine is a P200 with 64MB of RAM, so I only allow one child of
spamd (more child results in heavy swapping):

------------------------------------
fery@domesticus:~/mail$ ps ax|grep spam
22762 ?        Ss     0:09 /usr/sbin/spamd --create-prefs --max-children
1 --helper-home-dir -d --pidfile=/var/run/spamd.pid
16923 ?        S      0:29 spamd child

Even with this configuration, checking of one mail lasts for 5-20
seconds.

I suspect that if more than one mail needs to be checked by spamd, spamc
(or procmail? or exim?) timeouts, and my (unchecked) mail goes to my
mailbox.

How can I check what causes this? And what can I do to force all mail to
be checked?

Thanks in advance:
Circum