Re: [exim] Receiving mail from outblaze and others times out…

Author: Andrew Nimmo
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Receiving mail from outblaze and others times out after initial 220

On 16 Apr 2005, at 14:25, Marc Haber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having a user complain that receiving messages from some servers,
> including hotmail, outblaze and a few others, time out after his exim
> has sent the initial 220 greetig, but before the remote side sends its
> HELO. The full incoming message is archived as
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-exim4-users/2005-March/
> 000031.html,
> but here is the relevant excerpt from a debugging output:
>
> 11175 host in helo_try_verify_hosts? no (option unset)
> 11175 host in helo_accept_junk_hosts? no (option unset)
> 11175 SMTP>> 220 mail.example.com ESMTP Exim 4.44 Wed, 30 Mar 2005
> 22:13:24 +1000
> 11175 Process 11175 is ready for new message
> 11175 smtp_setup_msg entered
>
> At this point it waits for the remote host until eventually (after 5
> minute default timeout)
>
> 11175 LOG: lost_incoming_connection MAIN
> 11175 SMTP command timeout on connection from
> fallback.us4.outblaze.com [205.158.62.120]
>
> The host is behind a NAT router on a DSL line, so a MTU problem seems
> to be the kneejerk response, but neither the initial 220 greeting nor
> the HELO/EHLO from the remote site is likely to trip any MTU and PMTUD
> issues.
>
> Do you guys have an idea what could be the problem here?

connecting to mxfailover.krwdigital.com (mx1) from an adsl host (nat,
no firewall), returns a 220 with no delay

connecting to mxfailover.krwdigital.com (mx1) from an adsl host (nat,
cisco adsl router firewall, most ports blocked), returns a 220 with 30s
delay

connecting to mail.krwdigital.com (mx2) from an adsl host (nat, no
firewall), returns a 220 with no delay

connecting to mail.krwdigital.com (mx2) from an adsl host (nat, cisco
adsl router firewall, most ports blocked) gives no 220

would it be possible to check the exim configs for both servers?

regards
andrew