[exim] Which verb to use for a sub-ACL preserving semantics …

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Which verb to use for a sub-ACL preserving semantics and flexibility?
Hi,

in the Debian configuration, I would like to give users the
possibility to add their own ACL statements without them needing to
touch the actual ACL. To allow this, I have currently the following
construction

  .ifdef CHECK_RCPT_LOCAL_$foo_ACL
  $foo
    acl = CHECK_RCPT_LOCAL_$foo_ACL
  .endif

for all values of foo in (require drop deny defer warn discard
accept).

This is very very ugly.

But the alternative:

.ifdef CHECK_RCPT_LOCAL_ACL_FILE
.include CHECK_RCPT_LOCAL_ACL_FILE
.endif

will probably be slow. The Debian configuration can currently live
without .include.

I am now wondering whether there is a verb which would allow a single

.ifdef CHECK_RCPT_LOCAL_ACL
$VERB
acl = CHECK_RCPT_LOCAL_ACL
.endif

to give the same behavior like an included ACL snippet, with all verbs
in the sub-acl doing exactly the same as if they were called in the
main ACL.

Any hints will be appreciated - especially from people who are more
acquainted with the ACL code than I am.

Greetings
Marc