Re: [exim] Sender callouts

Author: Wakko Warner
To: John W. Baxter
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Sender callouts
John W. Baxter wrote:
> On 4/8/2005 14:17, "Wakko Warner" <wakko@???> wrote:
> > Speaking of this, my server doesn't allow emails through that don't have a
> > message-id header. Your MUA/MTA is not adding this header. There are
> > others that do this as well.
>
> Like Outlook 2003. Some genius in Redmond decided that having Outlook
> create the Message-Id: header revealed internal networking information.
> (That's true, it does.) So Outlook expects Exchange to add such a header
> (after all, why would you talk to anything else using Outlook).

I don't know what information exchange leaks in the received header or if
any. I do know that using lookout with other MTAs can lead to local lan IP
information (even the netblock the local lan uses) and the client's hostname
if the server reports HELO information. I personally will not accept any
email if it does not have a message id header. I don't know which is worse,
netscape (Not sure about newer versions, but 4.x was like this) HELOing
using the user's email domain (common spammer trick) or outlook HELOing with
the PC's netbios name.