Re: [exim] DNSBLs

Author: Drav Sloan
To: Alan J. Flavell
CC: Exim users list, Drav Sloan
Subject: Re: [exim] DNSBLs
Alan J. Flavell wrote:
> So we can see, from the results they achieved:
> http://spews.org/html/S3150.html

Yeah, it's not a preatty sight :(

> Unfortunately, their customers don't seem to be aware of what
> "company" they are keeping, and are inclined to get quite sore with us
> when we apply to Tiscali the same anti-abuse rules that we apply to
> the rest of the Internet.

I know. Postmaster is one of the most painful jobs I have to do.
A lot of the content of the inbox is related to bounces from other
hosts, mainly as a result of remote policies, RBLs and other similar
activities other Internet hosts have had to rely on to stop getting
such junk from the Nigerians/Euro Lottery scammers. It's a great
loss of face having to admit there is a huge problem, but also having
to admit being powerless to do anything about it (seeing as I've
done as much as I can to get the problem sorted at board level, with
minimal reaction from them).

> That's very interesting, thanks. A check of the logs reveals that
> almost all of the recently logged mail offerings from those two IP
> addresses had sender address localparts which strongly suggested that
> they were lottery scams - which fortunately were presenting envelope
> sender addresses @handbag.com - an envelope-sender domain from which
> we've never seen anything resembling productive mail, so that
> envelope-sender domain is completely blacklisted here. (Well, I know
> a man who claims to have seen a productive mail with that sender
> domain, but we haven't seen any here, and if any were to come to
> light I'd deal with it by some form of whitelisting.)

Which makes sense. Hanbag is just a virtual domain hanging off one of
the main Tiscali platforms, and is one of the handful of domains they
can use when sending from webmail.

> (I hope you don't live to regret being so candid with us about this.)

Me too, but I'd rather admit being involved and underline what I've tried
to do to remedy the situation, rather than have people assume I didn't
give a tuppany toss.

Maybe oneday, when the board get spammed to death with 419 nonsense and
other euro lotto junk they may reconsider their position.

Regards

D.