Re: [exim] Sender callouts

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Mark Smith, exim-users
CC:
Subject: Re: [exim] Sender callouts
--On April 4, 2005 13:41:49 +0100 Mark Smith <exim-users@???> wrote:

> I recently complained to Friends Reunited about the fact that their mail
> servers refuse to accept bounces, and consequently all the mail they send
> out fails sender verification. The response I got back was "our mail AV/AS
> firewall prevents look-ups on our email addresses - part of the war
> against spam."
>
> Does this explanation make sense to anyone?

Yes, but it is a bogus explanation.

For all sorts of reasons, that means that their mail service is broken.
Several sites follow the same policy, and indeed it will prevent spam
blowback (bounced spam messages where the spam 'sender' was a forged
Friends Reunited address). It's a bad policy, though.

Anyway, I just tried doing a manual sender verification callout on
postmaster and info at friendreunited.com - and the callout passed OK. Do
you have a specific address that is failing? Or am I checking the wrong
domain?

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team