Re: [exim] Are we being harsh

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [exim] Are we being harsh
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Matthew Newton wrote:

> I did, however, block localhost.localdomain. That catches up to 100 bad
> messages a day. Also block the FQDNs and IPs of my servers; that catches
> on average 30,000 connections a day! Well worth doing. I didn't believe
> the spammers would be so thick.

I do this too; however it does suffer from false positives. I have had a
number of queries about it over the couple of years I've been doing this.
In each case, I have advised the sender that the system is ill-configured
and should be giving something more accurate than that default. I haven't
yet had to whitelist or make other provision (I don't think I've ever had
a follow-up; whether the system is fixed or the sender gives up, I've no
idea).

It may be a little dangerous in that respect, but until I get a serious
complaint about it I'm willing to run with the false positives and issue
advice appropriately when queried.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services