Re: [exim] Re: [Mailman-Users] Mailman/Exim problem with ver…

Author: Stephanie
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: [Mailman-Users] Mailman/Exim problem with very slow outgoing mail on one list
On Mar 30, 2005 11:39 PM, Peter Bowyer <peeebeee@???> wrote:

> If you went looking for PTR records for that domain, maybe you need to
> read some more about DNS before you can be sure that things are set up
> properly....
>
> PTR records exist in the in-addr.arpa domain to map IP addresses to
> domain names. DNSStuff.com has a search for 'Reverse DNS Lookup' which
> tests these.

Yes, I was thinking that PTR was for the IP to the hostname connection
but since my level of knowledge on DNS is fairly basic, I did some
reading that night and everything appeared to confirm that. (Then my
PC's motherboard died and I spent last night working on that instead.)

> Why not post the actual domains, IPs and hostnames here so someone can
> look them over for you

Sure,

IP address: 69.57.164.232
Hostname: scotland.glenfinnan.net
Domain with slow mail problem: brillig.net
Domains without problems also hosted on that server:
ttlg.net, glenfinnan.net, theidiotbox.org

The IP address does have rDNS/PTR to the hostname of the server. I've
looked thru the DNS zone records on my server for that domain and
compared it to others that also host mailman lists and aren't having
any mail problems and I can't see any differences. Testing
Brillig.net on the DNSStuff's mail tests comes up fine, afaict.

Any help is much appreciated. I'll also do some tests this weekend
with private mail going out from that domain and see if it's the same
slow speed (which would rule out any connection to Mailman).

--
hth,
Stephanie

Links blog: http://alice.ttlg.net/links/
Glenfinnan Web Hosting: http://www.glenfinnan.net/

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but
plunges him more deeply into them.
-- Antoine De Saint-Exupery [Wind, Sand, Stars]