Re: [exim] Re: [exim-dev] buffer overflow?

Author: Bill Hacker
To: exim
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: [exim-dev] buffer overflow?
Paul Dekkers wrote:

stuff we exchanged *off-list* Sorry folks!

Saving (and correcting typos in) one part only:

>> Latest Exim builds right from the generic Exim tarball (edit 'EDITME'
>> to set install locations, users, groups, etc. is all).

... true for sure on FreeBSD or DragonFly, and probably
true on anything else remotely POSIX compliant.

> Of course, that's always an option :-)
> But I like the ports for about everything, with portaudit and friends...
> makes life easier with a lot of machines ;-)

When a 'generic' tarball, as Exim's author & contributors have
furnished, is as cleanly and easily configured to suit, not only
my choice of OS/platform, but also my application preferences,
which may differ from a 'port', then I am *delighted* to have
that, and quite happy to forego the 'port' with all its trappings.

Many thanks to Phil and Exim contributors!

One could only wish that more developers were as helpful,
effective, and supportive of folks running 'other' environments
than the ones the developers themselves use. [1].

Bill Hacker

[1] To be fair, courier-mta, which AFAIK, Sam always developed
on Linux, has also always been easier for me to build for
*BSD from generic tarball than a 'port'. The port wants to put a
different version of PostgreSQL atop one I already have in place
and bring in other irrelevant stuff.