Re: [exim] exim and iptables

Author: Michael Johnson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim and iptables
On 25 Mar, 2005, at 10:56:31. 0 AM, Bob Branch wrote:

> Michael Johnson wrote:
>> problems you're experiencing. Maybe someone with experience
>> using similar hardware can chime in and tell me I'm wrong. =-)
>
> My server for my personal domain's a P3/550 (100MHz slower than
> his) with 128MB of RAM and 40MB/sec scsi kit and it handles a load
> easily twice his without anything I'd call a real performance hit.
> Sure, if I do an sa-learn on a bunch (more than a couple hundred)
> messages in a batch it'll bog a LITTLE, but we're talking maybe a
> couple milliseconds pause on any other tty, and that's just because
> spamassassin's a resource hog. Clamav/amavis don't seem to add an
> appreciable load, either.

This leads me to believe it's a problem with the network. Mail isn't
typically a big resource hog in the cases I've seen. SA can be,
although it seems to be quite fast on my setup. I guess I'm just lucky.

I'd think about moving SA off to a different dedicated machine, but
if there are network problems, this may serve to only slow things
down further.

> I'd also look towards something else being the problem, but he also
> hasn't said in any real detail what the whole problem is...

More details would be helpful. Then someone with real knowledge can
chime in and help instead of me. =-)

-Michael

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your
smile can be the source of your joy.
                     --Thich Nhat Hanh