Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: Brian Candler
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)
[ On Thursday, March 24, 2005 at 09:03:26 (+0000), Brian Candler wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)
>
> I'm afraid you've got that check back to front.

No, I definitely do no.

> It's perfectly acceptable (and indeed very common) for multiple names to map
> to the same IP address, and for the reverse DNS to have a PTR to only one of
> those names.

No, it is definitely NOT acceptable (though sadly it is still common for
such mis-configurations to exist).

The only way the reverse-DNS can be verified is if _ALL_ hostnames have
valid corresponding PTRs. Period. The logic is inescapable and widely
accepted and agreed to.

--
                        Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@???>