Re: [exim-dev] mbx locking bug in CYGWIN

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Derek Martin
CC: Mark Crispin, exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] mbx locking bug in CYGWIN
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Derek Martin wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 11:22:41AM -0800, Mark Crispin wrote:

> > The bottom line is that there is no harm on UNIX in acquiring a shared
> > lock on the mailbox file prior to initiating an append; and in the future
> > it may become mandatory.

That reinforces my view that Exim should continue to do this.

> > Although a modest amount of effort has been made to get some aspects of
> > UNIX c-client to work under Cygwin, there are several known problems that
> > will never be fixed. The answer to these problems is: "there's a native
> > Windows port of c-client."
> >
> > Furthermore, c-client under Cygwin does *not* interoperate with native
> > Windows c-client. This is a recipe for disaster.
> >
> > I can't speak for Philip Hazel, but I guess that he may have similar
> > sentiments about Exim under Cygwin.

Absolutely (though there is no native Windows port of Exim). I have done
exactly the same - put in a couple of patches that were small and had
zero effect on the Unix version, but that's as far as I'm prepared to
go. I do not offer any support.

> > Personally, I find it bewildering that anyone would want to run something
> > as complex as a mailer (such as Exim) under Cygwin, rather than any of the
> > following far superior solutions:
> > . run a native Windows mailer
> > . run true UNIX instead of UNIX
> [I think he meant something like, "...instead of UNIX emulation" there]

Me too!

> > . do a true Windows port of Exim

Twice (to my knowledge), people have gone away with the code of Exim to
try to do that; in each case, I heard nothing more. I know zilch about
Windows (never used it, let alone programmed for it), but I suspect the
mismatch of system facilities is just too great.

> > I don't want to sound harsh, but I get very nervous when people start
> > talking about software running under Cygwin in starry-eyed terms which
> > imply support. Thanks for your understanding.

You don't sound harsh. You sound completely on target. I'm right there
with you.

Philip