Re: [exim-dev] exim overzealously cleaning local parts of ma…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] exim overzealously cleaning local parts of mail addresses
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Marc Haber wrote:

> > it would require quite a bit of code changes, and it would make Exim
> > less efficient for everyone else (by definition _every_ existing Exim
> > installation has no need for changing strcmp to strcasecmp everywhere).
> > I can't say I sympathise with this request.
>
> I can understand that.

I certainly wouldn't want to make changes in this area now, as it would
almost certainly break *somebody's* configuration. I believe the default
is "right" because in most installations, people want/expect local parts
to be treated case-insensitively.

If your local parts are case-sensitive, but you do not actually have
differently cased ones (e.g. if you have a local part "PhilHazel" you do
not also have "philhazel") the recommended thing to do is to convert the
incoming local part into the right case with a leading router, if you
can, so that external people don't have to worry about the case. Don't
know if you could do this with LDAP, but with a flat file such as

philhazel: PhilHazel

you could do this:

convert:
driver = redirect
domains = .... whatever
data = ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/the/file}{$value@$domain}}

and then set caseful_local_part on all the following routers (but not on
this router).