Re: [exim-dev] Saving the variable part of local part suffix…

Author: Michael Haardt
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Saving the variable part of local part suffixes
On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 12:57:07PM +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Michael Haardt wrote:
> >
> > In fact, two new router options. I am not sure if this is interesting
> > to Exim filters, because Exim filters could contain the string expression
> > right away, so I did not add new variables. Opinions?
>
> It's probably a good idea to add the variables so that people writing
> Exim filters are insulated from the details of the site's subaddress
> configuration, in the same way that Sieve users are.

If the variables work in the filter, people will expect them to work in
transports, too, which requires expanding them when the router runs
and adding the results to the address_item.

Philip: Which approach do you prefer?

> > RFC 3598 allows to check other addresses than the envelope "to" address.
> > There is a pretty good chance to get wrong results by applying the
> > encoding rules for the currently processed envelope "to" address to other
> > addresses. If processing other addresses, this implementation always
> > uses the local part for :user and any test concerning :detail will be false.
>
> This came up recently on the Sieve IETF working group list. I think your
> approach is slightly better than their suggestion of sweeping the problem
> under the carpet.

Guess who brought it up there. ;-) Either it's just me, or the Exim
Sieve implementation is the first clean room implementation and that's
why I have so many problems with those RFCs.

Michael