Re: [exim] RFC 1413 default on debian

Autor: Mark Lowes
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] RFC 1413 default on debian
On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 16:54, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 05:51:16PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > It might be a good idea to be RFC compliant. So, if an ident request
> > comes in, be nice and reject it, or answer it. Droping it without
> > rejecting will grant you that nice delay, which is _your_ fault.
>
> "but then people can probe our network"

There's an ident daemon out there which allows the response to be
hardcoded to a specific user / value iirc. Or I'm sure someone could
hack something up in perl / python / winner of the scripting language
holy war this week to do the same.

For years I've rejected outright ident connections and flipped the
appropriate bits in exim not to request it but I know there are plenty
of daemons out there (not just smtp) which look for ident information on
a connect.

--
Mark Lowes <hamster@???>