Re: [exim] RFC 1413 default on debian

Autor: Marc Haber
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] RFC 1413 default on debian
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:54:39 +0000, Matthew Byng-Maddick
<exim@???> wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 05:51:16PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
>> It might be a good idea to be RFC compliant. So, if an ident request
>> comes in, be nice and reject it, or answer it. Droping it without
>> rejecting will grant you that nice delay, which is _your_ fault.
>
>"but then people can probe our network"

I trust _you_ that _you_ know you're joking.

For the archive, better let's make it explicitly clear: Rejecting a
connection attempt does not reveal any more information than dropping
the connection attempt gives. A "drop" gives an attacker the
information that something is there. And that it is desperately trying
to be invisible.

Greetings
Marc