Re: [exim] RFC 1413 default on debian

Author: Wakko Warner
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] RFC 1413 default on debian
Marc Haber wrote:
> For the archive, better let's make it explicitly clear: Rejecting a
> connection attempt does not reveal any more information than dropping
> the connection attempt gives. A "drop" gives an attacker the
> information that something is there. And that it is desperately trying
> to be invisible.

I don't follow on this. If you "drop" a packet (as I understand it, dropped
packets mean no data is returned), how can someone know the device is there
or not? What's the difference between say dropping a packet and unplugging
the ethernet cable? (I realize that arp packets would be replied to,
however, in a routed environment, you won't see these replies)