Re: [exim] RFC 1413 default on debian

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John W. Baxter
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] RFC 1413 default on debian
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, John W. Baxter wrote:

> And the default is very unlikely to change in Exim, since doing so would
> break installations which don't set the values.
>
> Remember that Exim was begun in friendlier times when Ident was routinely
> active.

It still is at sites that have user accounts, e.g. ours. As I have said
many times before, if a miscreant user on (say) cus.cam.ac.uk abuses
your host and you complain to us, the first thing we will ask is "what
ident information did you log?". If you say "none", we'll be less able
to figure out who is to blame, and it will take more of our time.
(cus.cam.ac.uk is a shared system with thousands of accounts).