Re: [exim] RFC 1413 default on debian

Author: Marc Sherman
To: Ian Firla
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] RFC 1413 default on debian
Ian Firla wrote:

> I'm wondering why exim4 on debian defaults to making RFC 1413
> identification calls on all hosts?
>
> It took me a bit to work out why smtp connections were taking 30
> seconds to get a response from the server... setting
> rfc1413_query_timeout to 0 resolved the problem but I'm not sure
> about the "correctness" of that.
>
> Surely there's a reason why Debian configures it to look up all hosts
> and sets the time out to 30...

As the debian config file states in the comments, those settings are the
same as Exim's defaults. The config file shipped with the debian
package just includes them explicitly so it's easy for you to figure out
where to change them.

I think I agree that it's not the right default setting, but that's an
Exim issue, not a Debian issue.

- Marc