Re: [exim] Bayesian filtering idea

Author: Marc Sherman
To: Alun
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Bayesian filtering idea
Alun wrote:

> Our Bayesian filter could make use of the absence of the header but, of
> course, if the header's not there, it's not a token that can have a
> probability assigned to it.

Wouldn't an unmodified bayesian filter still account for that by
assigning a negative probability to the "Date: " token?

> [1] Mainly because we're handling mail generated by a large, expensive
> piece of software, which doesn't add it, and whose authors are clueless,
> won't accept that Date: should be there, especially on a time-sensitive item
> of mail like their system generates. They are blaming the client software
> when it can't sort these undated mails into date order. Sigh.

I recently went through a similar ordeal with zip.ca, a Canadian version
of Netflix. The automated messages they were sending on
shipping/receipt of DVDs, or certain other time-sensitive events such as
impending credit card expiry, were missing Date: headers. After
struggling with their customer service ticketing system for two and a
half months, I finally got them to fix it with a personal email to the
president, noting from their headers that their mail gateway is running
exim, and detailing a one line solution to the problem in exim.conf. :)

- Marc