Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)

Author: Toralf Lund
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)
Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:

> At 11:39 am +0100 2005/03/16, Toralf Lund wrote:
>
>> Something else I've been wondering about is if the smarthost may be
>> dynamically configured, too. Like, can I tell exim to always use the
>> official MX for the current domain? (I'm looking for a setup that
>> works without modifications when you e.g. move the PC between your
>> ISP at home and the LAN at the work.)
>

> strictly, and not so strictly, speaking MX is not what you are looking
> for (MX is the DNS record that gives you the host(s) that receives
> mail for the domain).

I'm assuming of course that the MX also allows relaying from hosts on
the domain. But maybe there's another way to find a relay/smart host.

> You could ask one of the two providers if they allow authenticated
> SMTP connections when roaming and always use one smarthost with
> authentication.

Yep. That's one option. It seems cleaner in many ways to use a host on
the network you are connected to at any given time, however. It may also
make the configuration simpler to maintain in a multi-user/multi-host
environment since the authentication might require different usernames
and passwords for different people.

- Toralf