Re: [exim] exim and multiple port

Author: Marc Sherman
To: De Leeuw Guy
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim and multiple port
De Leeuw Guy wrote:
> Thanks a lot, It's work !
> But I have a small problem
>
> In thunderbird a need to check TLS an set the port to smtps (465) but
> when I check SSL
> isn't work. I thing the problem come from the auth_advertise_hosts but I
> don't know how to write correctly this line.
>
> daemon_smtp_ports = smtp : smtps
> auth_advertise_hosts = ${if eq{$tls_cipher}{}{}{*}}

465 is traditionally used for SMTP with automatic SSL on connect (aka
STMPS). To enable that in Exim (post 4.40, I think), you need:

tls_on_connect_ports = 465

That corresponds to the "SSL" setting in Thunderbird. However, it's
considered obsolete; the modern way to do authenticated message
submission is TLS (unauthenticated at connection, turn on authentication
with the SMTP STARTTLS command) on port 587. To do that, add " : 587"
(or " : submission") to daemon_smtp_ports, and edit your ACLs to only
allow authenticated submission on that port, not unauthenticated
local/relay delivery.

- Marc